Tip Top Sports Betting Sites
PlayWilliam Hill Sport William Hill Sport Review William Hill Sport
Bet £10 and get £30 in free betsWilliam Hill has been at the gambling game for decades, and its experience and expertise show in its sportsbook, which is one of the most respected in the United Kingdom.
New William Hill online customers only. Min. unit stake of £10/€10 at odds of 1/2 or greater. Only the “win” part from EW bets will count. Free bet terms, payment method & country restrictions apply. Free bets credited as 3 x £10/€10. Free bet stakes are not returned as part of the settlement of successful free bets. All Free Bets must be wagered within 30 days.
PlayBetfair Sport Betfair Sport Review Betfair Sport
£100 Bet BundleBetfair.com has long been renowned for its Exchange, a special type of sports book that’s becoming increasingly popular in the United Kingdom. There’s plenty more of note at Betfair beyond the Exchange.
New Customer offer. Place 5 x €10 or more bets to receive €20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum €100 bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. T&Cs apply
PlayPaddy Power Sport Paddy Power Sport Review Paddy Power Sport
Risk Free £20Paddy Power has a huge slate of odds offered across more than 30 different sports, plus perhaps the web’s best set of unique gambling options like reality TV and political election bets.
New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is €20. Only deposits made using Cards or Paypal will qualify for this promotion.
PlayLadbrokes Sport Ladbrokes Sport Review Ladbrokes Sport
match max £/€50 free betLadbrokes is the world’s largest retail bookmaker, making it the most trusted source for a quality sports gambling experience available. Bettors in the UK especially enjoy what Ladbrokes has to offer.
18+. New customers only. Promo code ‘F50’ required. Certain deposit methods excluded. Min £/€5 on win or each-way bet excluding Tote or pools = match max £/€50 free bet. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Bet must be made within 14 days. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet stake not returned. Single bets only. Free bet cannot be used on certain markets. T&Cs apply.
How We Choose the Top Betting Sites in the UK
We have a team of experts with extensive experience in sports betting. We have the expertise and know-how to accurately review the bookies in the market. Only the best and most trustworthy ones make it to our list of recommended sites. We test each betting site against a strict set of criteria:
- Honesty and reliability – We understand that these are the most important elements in an online betting site. We have different ways to evaluate a website’s honesty and reliability using anonymous accounts, website reviews, and player feedback.
- Customer satisfaction – If a site has very high customer satisfaction, you can be sure that they are responsive, responsible, and handle payouts exactly the way as they promised. This is one of the best measures of the overall quality of a site.
- Payment methods – We understand that it could be quite frustrating if you can’t make deposits quickly and conveniently. All our recommended bookies offer a wide range of payment methods available with a focus on UK players’ preferences.
- Welcome bonus – Bonuses are a great way to give your bankroll a boost! Good betting sites like our selected ones offer high-quality welcome bonuses with generous prizes that you can get your hands on.
- Licensed and regulated – Every single one of our recommended sites are heavily licensed and regulated by at least one established authority, like a gaming commission. This ensures that they adhere to all laws and social responsibility protocols so players like you are protected.
Deposit Bonuses and Free Bets From the Bookies
A wise player will take full advantage of the bonuses offered by bookies to get the most mileage out of their bankroll. Although there are usually conditions attached to these bonuses, they are still a great way for you to get more bang for the buck.
As a new player to a betting site whom you’ve never registered an account with before, you’re eligible for the welcome bonus. This is a one-time-only bonus which is usually very lucrative and offered by bookies to expand their customer base. After you’ve created an account at the betting site, you can opt-in on their welcome bonus before you make your first deposit. This type of bonus usually consists of a deposit match. This means that when you make your first deposit, the bookie will match it with a certain percentage in credits. For example, if you make an initial deposit of £50 and the welcome bonus is a 100% deposit match offer, you’ll get to play with a total of £100. However, there are always terms and conditions attached to a welcome bonus so make sure you understand what they are before signing up.
Some welcome offers also include a free bet. The bookie will credit your account with a certain bonus amount which you can use to bet for free and still keep the winnings generated from it. However, free bets also usually come attached with different conditions. For example, you might need to bet a certain amount of your own money first or make a fixed number of specified bets before you can claim the free bet bonus.
Mobile Betting – On the Go or on Your Couch
Gone are the days when your phone was only used for calling or texting other people. Now, you can use your mobile device to participate in sports betting whenever and wherever you are. Any serious betting site has an intuitive mobile platform that’s easy to navigate and optimised to be used via mobile phones.
A good mobile betting site can be accessed in portrait or landscape mode and function with a touchscreen. The website can be launched on your device’s web browser without needing to download an app which will take up precious memory space. All payment options on the mobile website are secure and readily available, just like its desktop counterpart. Furthermore, the mobile betting site will need to load fast without consuming too much internet data.
The Different Types of Bets
The beauty of sports betting is that it covers a multitude of activities, yet they are all related. Sports betting is versatile with many different ways to place your wagers. We explain here some of the most popular types of bets:
- Straight bet – This is the most common kind of bet. All you need to do is choose a team or an individual in particular who you think will win the sports event. If your prediction comes true, the bookie will pay you a certain amount of money. With a straight bet, it’s always a clear win or lose situation.
- Accumulator (ACCA) – This is the simplest form of multiple bets. You bet on two or more teams or individuals and only receive a payout if all of them win. When you have two selections, it’s called a double and with three selections, it’s called a treble. You can usually bet up to a maximum of 20 selections and that’s called a twentyfold.
- Ante post bet – An ante post bet is a wager you place well in advance of the actual event. For example, when you bet on a certain team winning the event before it even starts, that’s an ante post bet.
- Over/ under – You can also bet on whether the final score of a match is over or under a certain total. This type of bet is sometimes called the total bet too.
- Live/ running – This is a relatively new type of bet and it’s sometimes also called the in-running or in-play bet where you can place your bet as the event is occurring. Live betting can be difficult, especially for new players, since you have to make decisions in a split second. However, it can be very fast-paced and exciting to play.
Is it Safe to Bet Online?
It can be both safe and dangerous to bet online, just like in the physical world. If you bet at an unlicensed bet shop, you’ll likely lose your money. Similarly, you should only bet at online betting sites that hold credible gaming licenses and regulated by an established authority, like the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC).
A reputable online betting site will always be able to give you its license and company information. They will also use cutting-edge SSL encryption technology to keep your personal information safe and secure. You are very much protected when you bet at these sites like any of our recommended online bookies. If anything goes wrong, you can make a report to the UKGC. The Gambling Commission will investigate and help you resolve the matter, including issuing an order for the site to return your money or compensate for your losses if they were found to be in the wrong.
Tips and Tricks for Smart Betting
Unlike playing slot machines, sports betting is not about winning a huge amount of cash with one bet. While a lot of people consider sports betting as a hobby, there are also seasoned punters who can consistently win. However, you do have to put considerable time and effort to learn the ropes. Here are some tips you can use immediately to increase your odds of winning:
- Only bet what you can afford to lose – This might seem obvious but you’d be surprised at how many punters forget it. Before you even start betting, set aside a certain amount of money which you can completely lose. This is called your bankroll. Never chase a bad bet and only start betting again once you can gain another bankroll.
- Check between different betting sites – Create multiple accounts with different bookies. Before you place a bet, shop around to find the best lines for you. You might have a favourite bookie that you like to use but each site can change their offers for different events. So always look around a few trusted sites before putting your money in.
- Do your homework – Successful sports bettors don’t bet with their hearts or hunches. They put in time and research to understand the sports they want to bet on. Take some time to learn the market and look at similar past events to try and find a pattern.
- Bet with just a few selections – That twentyfold accumulator bet might seem super attractive, but your chance of winning that bet is minute. If you’re in it to make money, then know that the fewer your selection, the higher your chance of winning.
Sports Betting FAQ
With so many options and events available for sports betting, it could be overwhelming for a new player to dipping their toes in the water. Here are some most commonly asked questions to help you get your feet wet:
Q: Is betting online safe?
A: As a player, you’re very much protected if you bet using licensed and regulated sites. Online bookies that have the approval of an established authority, like the UK Gambling Commission, adhere to gaming laws and social responsibility protocols.
Q: Can I bet on e-gaming?
A: Absolutely! Recent years have seen the e-sports market growing massively and the betting industry is jumping on the bandwagon. Although e-sports betting is still a new market, it has been gaining a huge amount of popularity and doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
Q: What is a wagering requirement?
A: Bonuses usually come with a wagering requirement attached. This is the number of times you need to bet in order to convert the bonus credit into withdrawable real money. To illustrate, if you receive a free bet with the value of £10 at 3x wagering, you must bet at least £30 in total to be able to withdraw your winnings.
Q: Should I open multiple accounts?
A: Definitely yes! This is because each bookie offers different lines for different bets and events. To find the best conditions for your bet, you’ll need to check using your accounts across different betting sites. Furthermore, there are always various promotions going so you can always pick up multiple bonuses at the same time.
What Will You Bet On?
You’re now equipped with the knowledge to choose a favourite online betting site. Although you can still head out and place your bets at a local brick-and-mortar bookie, online betting opens up a world of possibilities. There’s also the convenience of being able to play right in the comfort of your home at any time you want. So use the table above and head over to our recommended sites which you can trust and start betting. We always update the list so make sure you check back often to get the best deals available in online sports betting in the UK!